Saturday, January 2, 2010

Medium v Smedium

There is an oft made claim that, until recently, found it's way out of my mouth on regular occasions: the book is always better than the movie. The why is easy. The book is rich with details and subplots which are impractical for and inexpressible by film. Though, like a critical thinker of any level should, I revisited the evidence and arguments. At times I rejected the mantra by claiming that the mediums sought different ends entirely, each sought it's own expression of a story, each highlighted a different perspective or mood. At times I relied on strict inference from data rather than stronger metaphysical claims - noting that always makes the heart grow weary.

I renounce any previous positive conviction of the claim; it is certainly false. I further deny my compromises and reformulations of the claim. The movie is always better than the book, if George Clooney stars in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home